[TowerTalk] RF Safety Worksheet

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RF Safety Worksheet
From: k6ll@juno.com (David O. Hachadorian)
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 11:45:39 EST
Here is a little worksheet that I made for RF Safety
Evaluation. It may look strange on your email
reader because of the longish line length, but save it
to a file, and then you can edit it. It contains sample
data that you can overwrite with your own data.

I Just filled out one of these for every band/antenna and
used the data as input to the University of Texas
Internet RF Safety Calculator. I printed the worksheet and the
UTex output sheet for each band/antenna, put them
in a binder, and the evaluation is done.

Use this worksheet at your own risk. If anyone spots something
wrong in this worksheet or method, please let me know.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
K6LL@juno.com
Yuma, AZ

        A. Callsign: AA7AAA

        B. Frequency, MHz: 21.45

        C. Maximum PEP transmitter output, watts: 1500

        D. Type of feedline: RG-213

        E. Length of feedline, feet: 80

        F. Feedline loss, negative dB:  -.8

        G. Line F divided by 10. (It will be a negative number).  -.08

        H. PEP power delivered to the antenna: line C antilog line G
                1500 ALOG -.08 = 1248

        I. Worst case (highest) Emission mode duty factor: .4
                FSK, RTTY, AFSK SSB, FM Voice: 1.0
                Conversational SSB, heavy speech processing: 0.5
                Conversational CW: 0.4
                Conversational SSB, no speech processing: 0.2

        J. Transmit/Receive duty cycle over six minutes: .5
                Longest conceivable percent transmit time in six minutes,
                expressed as a decimal.

        K. Transmit/Receive duty cycle over 30 minutes: .5
                Longest conceivable percent transmit time in thirty
minutes,
                expressed as a decimal.

        L. AVERAGE power to antenna, controlled case: H x I x J = 250

        M. AVERAGE power to antenna, uncontrolled case: H x I x K = 250

        N. Antenna Gain, dBi: 9.5

        O. Closest CONTROLLED human proximity to antenna, feet: 46

        P. Closest UNCONTROLLED human proximity to antenna, feet: 51

        Proceed to the University of Texas World Wide Web Site:
        http://www.cs.texas.edu/users/kharker/rfsafety

        Input items L, N, O, B (controlled case). Print the output sheet.
        Input items M, N, P, B (uncontrolled case). Print the output
sheet