[TowerTalk] Mast Vertical

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Mast Vertical
From: n4kg@juno.com (T A RUSSELL)
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 08:02:38 -0600
Push-up Mast as a Low Band Vertical Antenna   -   de   N4KG

Back in 1970 I used a 50 ft push-up mast with a 10 ft TV mast extension
as a support for an 80M inverted vee fed with open wire line.  At the
top,
I added a short piece of wooden dowel to separate the feedpoint from
the metal support.  The ladderline was pulled off to the side to prevent
contact with the mast and heavy duty  plastic clothesline guys (no wire).

At the base, I used a heavy glass Coke bottle as an insulator.  A simple
L-network was used to match the mast as a near half-wave vertical on 40M.

It was a KILLER for DX!   I never tried feeding the mast as a vertical on
80M
since I  had not put out any radials.  Adding radials and a small loading
coil (with relay or aligator clip switching) to provide 80M coverage
would
seem to be a good idea.

On 20M, a 50 ft vertical acts a 3/4 wavelength radiator.  While there is
major low angle lobe, most of the energy will be radiated in the major
lobes at 60 degrees above the horizon which will pass through the
ionosphere into space at 14 MHz.  A 60 ft mast will have little low angle
radiation on 20M.

The difference between galvanized steel and aluminum should not
have any noticable effect since the ohmic losses are small compared
with the radiation resistance of the antenna.

de  Tom  N4KG