[TowerTalk] Climbing alone ?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Climbing alone ?
From: jon.zaimes@dol.net (jon zaimes)
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 08:37:41 -0500 (EST)
At 11:19 AM 12/22/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Another technique for single-handed section installing:  Once the new
>section is lifted to a few inches above where it should be to start
>telescoping downward, while on the tower, well belted on, and carefully,
>loosen the gin pole clamp slightly

That one would scare the hell out of me! What I've done many times, using
nylon or braided nylon, which has a bit of stretch to it, for the haul line,
is to pull the section to where it is not quite over the top of the section
onto which it will be placed. Then I climb, and with the haul line taking
SOME of the weight, I lift the section the last couple of inches and set it
into place.

Always climb on a face of the tower AWAY from the side which has the
dangling section.

73/Jon AA1K