[TowerTalk] Hy Gain Balun Substitute (fwd)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Hy Gain Balun Substitute (fwd)
From: w2up@itw.com (Barry Kutner)
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 14:51:49 +0000
On  2 Feb 98, Pat Barthelow <aa6eg@cv.tmx.com> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> We at N6IJ, have suffered a failure of our Hy-Gain LP 1017 Log periodic
> antenna. :*(  It has gone high SWR intermittently for several months.
> Careful
> troubleshooting has eliminated as possible sources, all transmission line
> fitting problems betweeen the shack and the final pigtail lead located at
> the kingpost/Rotor.  Sweeping the coax pigtail shows infinite (nearly) SWR
> through the entire range (6.2
> to 30 MHZ.)  The antenna uses the Hygain BN-86 ferrite balun.  The
> antenna is mounted on a standard ARMY MARS platform, trianglar, 18 ft
> corner to corner.  The Balun, at the tip of the boom is 25 feet out from
> the edge of the platform, so is difficult to access.  I need to locate a
> cherry picker, or crane with Man-Bucket to look closely at the feedpoint.
>
> Question: Can I/Should I replace the ferrite balun with a coil
> balun, made of coax?  Or should I replace the BN 86 with a more rugged
> Hygain ferrite Balun?  (I'm assuming the balun has failed internally, as I
> have
> been told that this particular model was subject to unreliablity when used
> at high power levels.  We use up to 1200 watts out, but who knows what the
> ARMY MARS OPS used when the ex MARS station at Ft. Ord was active.)  If I
> fabricate a coil balun,  for 40 thru 10 meters, how many turns and
> what diameter should I use for the RG-213 Coil?
>
> Tnx, de Pat, AA6EG/N6IJ;  aa6eg@tmx.com
> The Contest Station from the Government
>
> Marina Amateur Radio Contest Station
> 599 DX Drive
> Marina CA 93933

I have used Hygain's BN-4000 on my TH7s for several years at full power
RTTY with no problems. It fits right in the same spot as the 86 for a
neat appearance.

If you want to buy another BN86, I have an unused one, that came with
my TH7...
73 Barry

--
Barry Kutner, W2UP                            Internet: w2up@itw.com
Newtown, PA                                   Frankford Radio Club