[TowerTalk] Yagi and Quad, same boom?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Yagi and Quad, same boom?
From: n4kg@juno.com (T A RUSSELL)
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 1998 08:44:20 -0600
Hi  Mike -

This idea has some merit.  Generations ago, K1JX had a 2 element
tri-band quad mounted on the same boom as a 2 element shorty forty.
You might want to write him to ask how it performed.

The Cushcraft 2L40 may have some interaction on 17M since the loading
coils are spaced just about 1/2 wavelength apart at that frequency.
Since
the driven element is isolated, you may be able to minimize that
interaction
by varying the 40M feedline length and/or trying open vs. shorted
connections
when using the quad.

A 2 element quad would also tend to minimize interactions since the
elements
would have more separation from the 40M elements, not to mention that it
is
less cumbersome and has much less wind load.  You would need a much
stronger boom than Cushcraft supplies to carry the load of a 4L quad!
Even
with 2 quad elements, I would go recommend a heavier duty boom, at least
1/8 inch wall, and probably 1/4 inch wall if you go to 4 elements.
(Check the
numbers!   Wind load vs. yield strength of the boom).

Re: towers on rental property, I see no problem with a few bricks in the
hole
to carry the weight, some gravel around the bottom to allow for drainage,
and PROPER guying. Leaves no trace when you move.   All the concrete does

is to provide a large mass to prevent the base from sinking/rising.  THE
EARTH  HOLDS the BASE/TOWER in place, whether you use concrete, bricks,
or treated
wood.  ( Just as the earth holds the anchors in place).

73 / GL,  Tom  N4KG

On Sat, 18 Apr 1998 04:41:08 +0000 Mike <no6x@inreach.com> writes:
>Am curious to know if someone can enlighten me.
>If one were to install a Quad (5 bands, 4 elements) With a boom of 24
>feet
>(just using commercial advertisement numbers). Could a
>40-2CD be put on the same boom AND WORK GOOD?
>
>I know curiousity killed the cat, but atleast it is not a coax
>"extension
>cord"
>
>Mike
>

>Check out my home page at http://home.inreach.com/no6x
>
>--
>Search:                   http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]