[TowerTalk] Feedlines

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Feedlines
From: n8ug@juno.com (n8ug@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 1998 13:24:56 -0500
Hello Tom -
9913F would be a poor choice for your project for several reasons:
1. It has a synthetic rubber jacket not designed for burial, and carries
only a 10 year warranty even above ground.
2. The high flexibility will do you very little good in the ground, and
subsequent non moving connections.
3. There are several coaxes that are designed for burial that are very
similar in loss and actually cost less.
If flexibility is a must, Bury-Flex (Davis RF) has the tough polyethylene
jacket needed.
If not, LMR400 or LMRDB have the same jacket(the DB also has a moisture
block material if you have a really high risk bury situation.
All cost less than 9913F and are suited for the job. The maximum HF loss
you could expect in your 220 ft run for any of them would be less than 2
db(30MHz), or hardly worth considering at the lower freq's unless you are
a QRP or 300 country DX hound.
We can supply any of these or more info if you just holler.
73,
Press Jones, N8UG, The Wireman, Inc., Landrum, SC, 29356
Sales(800)727-WIRE(9473) or cqwire@juno.com.
Tech help (864)895-4195 or n8ug@juno.com
www.thewireman.com
Our 21st year!

On Mon, 15 Jun 1998 13:09:07 -0400 "Thomas R. Williams"
<n2cu@buffnet.net> writes:

>Greetings,
>All things considered, is Belden 9913F a reasonable choice for the
>220'
>run from my house to the tower base and remote switch? The tower will
>have a tribander, and wires for 40, 80, 160. Next possible choice
>would
>be hardline, if I can get it economically, but connectors pose a small
>problem. The cables must be buried. BTW, most guys will suggest that I
>get scrap CATV hardline, but sources don't seem to exist around here -
>or they have a policy against giving it away.
>73,
>Tom N2CU
>
>--

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]