[TowerTalk] [Fwd: Protected Land Area]

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] [Fwd: Protected Land Area]
From: kovar@WebNexus.COM (David Kovar)
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1998 14:29:42 -0700 (PDT)
> Imagine a cone, pointing up, with the tip of the lightning rod at the apex
> of the cone. The apex angle is 60 degrees, I think. Sometimes, I think 90
> degrees is used. Somebody help me out with this one.

If the angle is 90 degrees, then you'd have a plane horizontal to the
ground rather than a cone, I think? Even with a 60 degree angle, that
seems excessively large.

I've studied a bit about lightning strikes, with respect to wildnerness
medicine, and I'd hestiate to count on *any* sort of "cone of protection"
from lightning.

-David