[TowerTalk] 22VAC to 2 110VAC circuits

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 22VAC to 2 110VAC circuits
From: w1nr@eecorp.com (Michael McCarthy)
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 11:48:41 -0800 (PST)
Baseboard heaters usually have no neutral and the
ground that is there is not of sufficient size to
handle being a neutral too so converting to 2 110V
lines is out of the question.  However, most baseboard
heaters are wired with 12/2 + ground, so changing it
from 220V to 110V/20A would be as easy as changing the
breaker and outlet.  If it is 12/2 (and most baseboard
heaters I have seen are) then you can run 20 amp
appliance outlets instead of the standard 15 amp.

Mike, W1NR

---Steve Zettel <zettel@montanasky.net> wrote:

> A question a little different than the normal queries about having a
220VAC circuit in the shack for an amp:

> I already have 220VAC available at the baseboard in almost every
room of the house, after removing the old baseboard electric heaters.
In a couple of rooms, it would be nice to have more 110VAC circuits,
including the shack -- computers and perirherals, audio/video home
theater setup, sewing and crafts all use more than the normal
allotment of 110VAC outlets. At this point, I am re-paneling and
re-sheetrocking some of the rooms, and it would be a convenient time
to install additional boxes and outlets.

> Although it looks feasible on the face of it to turn one 220VAC
circuit into two 110VAC circuits, I have the feeling I am missing some
very basic, obvious caveats.

> Advice (other than the licensed electrican, get the permits, etc)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve Zettel  KJ7CH
> near Libby, MT USA
>

> --