[TowerTalk] Lightning protection grounding

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Lightning protection grounding
From: n7cl@mmsi.com (Eric Gustafson)
Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 15:21:41 -0700
<199904162316.QAA19069@toontown.mmsi.com> <3717D309.F63E80B8@erols.com>
<199904172003.NAA27024@toontown.mmsi.com> <3718FEBB.A65D62F2@erols.com>
Sender: owner-towertalk@contesting.com

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
>Date: Sat, 17 Apr 1999 17:35:55 -0400
>From: Dave Jordan <wa3gin@erols.com>
>
>Eric,
>
>I'd like to get out of the middle...why don't you call them and
>ask all these questions and report back to the list with their
>answers.

I already did that with a different dissipator supplier.  They
recommended #0 size wire for the grounding conductor.  It told me
what I wanted to know.

>I've had towers up for more than 35 years...never did a damn
>thing to deal with lightening...just an 8ft ground rod at the
>base. The towers were all crank-ups...

Sounds very rational.

>I'll do more this time because I have the time...I don't expect
>anything I do will have much effect on the outcome.  I'm sure
>I'll spend more time talking about it then worring about it...

Lead dress and bonding for conductors that leave the tower can
make a difference to your outcome.

>I do like the fuzzy looking dissipator. Might make a good top hat
>for 160meters, HAHA.

They do have an appealing look.  It will probably be much more
effective as the top hat than as a lightning preventer. ;-)

73, Eric  N7CL