[TowerTalk] Andrews LDF6-50

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Andrews LDF6-50
From: geoiii@kkn.net (George Fremin III)
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 07:44:15 -0700 (PDT)
Effinger SH writes:

> I have 2 pieces of Andrews LDF6-50 and want to join the two pieces together
>
> How would I go about this ???

Here is a message from W0UN on this subject......

===========================

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 18:52:42 -0600
To: cq-contest@tgv.com
From: broz@csn.net (John Brosnahan)
Subject: Re: VE1ZZ Splices

Fred, enjoyed your observations of VE1ZZ's place.  Puts K0RF's place into
better perspective, since Chuck has been using and reusing junque for years
and years.

On the hardline splice--we have been doing it that way (pointing to the
sky-but without the pop bottle--RTV and Scotch 88 instead) for years AND AT
50 MHz.  It isn't perfect but connectors for 50 KW pulses are expensive and
the science guys are poor.  Have never noticed any problems associated with
doing it that way but there is another way that is almost as easy.  Put the
cables in line and splice the centers together with a very short section of
the hobby shop thin wall brass tubing. Cover the splice with some salvaged
dielectric material and add some RTV to fill up the holes and gaps (use the
non-acetic acid stuff --9130 I think the number is, but probably should look
it up).  Wrap the immediate area with one layer of Scotch 88 to hold in the
RTV until it sets--the non-acetic acid stuff is slow.  Cover and splice the
shields with either some thin aluminum tubing that has been split (5/8 x
.058 for 1/2 hardline) or use something like three halves of the hardline
shield material (takes a little more than two halves since the splices ID is
the original tubings OD and you lose some when cutting it lengthwise.  Hold
the whole mess together with hose clamps or just some temp wires if you use
some heatshrink.  When done properly you can make a splice that is virtually
transparent on a TDR.  The increase of the center conductor diameter from
the brass tubing is pretty well compensated for by the increase of the
shield where the new ID is equal to the original cable OD.

(The above clearly illustrates that a word is worth a millipicture.)

BTW  I thought you darned (repaired) socks and knitted sweaters-- but darn
is the proper word if I have knitting needles in hand!

73  John  W0UN

--

George Fremin III
Johnson City, Texas             "Experiment trumps theory."