[TowerTalk] Tower on a downslope

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower on a downslope
From: k6ll@juno.com (k6ll@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 20:11:35 -0600

On Sun, 22 Aug 1999 19:29:29 -0700 "Rod Brink" <rodbrink@montereybay.com>
writes:

>Am thinking about putting a 50' tower with a 17m yagi on a downslope
>behind
>the house (am plagued with the usual neighborhood problems
>prohibiting
>towers and antennas in plain view).  When pointed east the horizontal
>plane
>of the antenna would clear the uphill terrain by only 20' or so.  Am
>wondering how the antenna will perform when pointed east.  Of course I
>know
>that higher is better, and I presume that when faced in this direction
>the
>takeoff angle will be much higher than in other directions, right?

The program YTAD, which will provide a specific answer to this
question for your particular terrain, is available free from the
arrl ftp site, or ftp.oak.oakland.edu.

The program is easy to use, a lot of fun to play with, and is
really quite enlightening. Seperate from the terrain modeling,
the program contains a wealth of information relating to vertical
arrival angle statistics and has the capability to show the effects
of stacking up to four yagis at various heights.

There is an updated version, YT, but I think you have to buy the
arrl Antenna Book to get it.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
San Diego, CA
K6LL@juno.com