[TowerTalk] Poor Verticals...

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Poor Verticals...
From: n7cl@mmsi.com (Eric Gustafson)
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 08:00:01 -0700

Notwithstanding the characteristics of any particular vertical
(like the R7000), that old saw should actually be rephrased.

"Verticals near earth radiate and receive poorly in all
directions when not provided with an adequate ground screen."

They actually do pretty well in all directions over an adequate
screen.  In some applications better than a horizontal antenna -
even a yagi - would do.  The thing that is arguable is whether
the required screen is possible to manage.

73, Eric  N7CL

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>