[Re: [TowerTalk] New erection]

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Re: [TowerTalk] New erection]
From: jonk@jskent.com (Jonathan Kaplan)
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 04:50:14 -0800
The tower we put up was a Tristao (aka USTower) HBX-555. Because the
wind rating here is 96 mph, the PE determined the base had to be at least
10 ft into bedrock. The reason The base was shaped like a 17ft x 30"
cassion is that the building pad at the site was 5 ft of compacted soil on
top of bedrock.The PE made it round for ease of digging and 17 ft long was
to compensate for the loss of overturn momentum resistance incurred by
the smaller diameter. The end result was to require less concrete than a
comparable square block, which would have been as as much as 6 or 7
cubic yards or concrete. As it was, only 4.5 cubic yards was required and
we dug the hole in about an hour using a backhoe equipped with a hydraulic
drill attachment.

73

Jonathan KO6XS