[TowerTalk] Slow motion tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Slow motion tower
From: w3svj@juno.com (N. S. FIRESTONE)
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 16:29:26 -0500
Dick;
We had a situation with a customer with three motor driven overhead dock
doors large enough for semi trailers to back in. When we first put them
up everything worked OK for more than a couple of years. As time went by,
the same problem you have would occur occasionally in colder weather, the
motors would not come up off of the starter winding/capacitor switch and
would also blow the fuse. The gear box/reducer oil must get real stiff at
low temps and the 1/2 HP motor just couldn't get up to speed. We wrapped
them in thermostatically controlled heat tape and some insulating
blankets, never had problems with them since then. You have the luxury of
being able to work on the drive at ground level, I think it's "solvable".

Nate, W3SVJ in Pittsburgh, where it's not that cold, yet!