[TowerTalk] Polyester vs Nylon - no contest

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Polyester vs Nylon - no contest
From: CubexCo@aol.com
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 20:38:46 EST
In a message dated 2/22/2006 12:06:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,

I'm not going over a tree branch.  I'm going through they eye of a ceramic
insulator.  The ceramic insulators I use are very smooth.  The real point is
that 3/8" nylon rope outlasts the 3/16" dacron/polyster at my QTH.  3/16"
Dacron/polyester: 1 year.  3/8" Nylon: 10+ years.

Clay  W7CE
==================================
I think that if you had a equivalent diameter Dacron/Polyester it would
outlast the nylon and not stretch as Nylon is prone to do.   The Nylon rope
diameter being double that of the Dacron/polyester results in 4 times the cross
section, not a valid comparison.    My experience with small 3/32" polyester
holding up 80 dipole. lines looped through trees on both ends, survived three
direct
hit Hurricanes, lost tree limbs that brought the line down, recovered it, and
shot it over what was left of the tree and still doing well.  It is tough
stuff.

Regards,
Norm W4QN

"The Power of a Cubex Quad"