Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted L Questions

To: jimsmith@shaw.ca, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Inverted L Questions
From: SavageBR@aol.com
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 08:53:11 EST
I suggest you also consider corrosion between the copper wire and the
aluminum tower. There is a special anti-corrosion grease sold at Home Depot and
electrical supply stores that is used to prevent corrosion in wiring when
aluminum
wire is being used with copper.

I have also used a piece of the "extra" length of stainless hose clamp. I cut
off the extra length or just cut up an extra clamp and place the piece
between the tower and the copper, under the clamp used to hold it all together.
Thus
the copper is contained between two strips of stainless.

Consider clamping 2 extra pieces of copper wire several inches long and then
twisting the two extra pieces to the main wire a few inches from the clamp.
Then all three pieces would have to break before you would lose the connection.

Even better would be to place a standard antenna strain insulator at the
junction with your stranded copper attached to the insulator (like the end of a
dipole) and the insulator attached to the tower. Then connect a jumper of
stranded copper wire or copper braid from the antenna to the tower with some
slack.
This would take all of the strain out of the antenna connection.

Good luck

Bruce  AA4Z