Re: [TowerTalk] Ground rod sticker shock

To: TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Ground rod sticker shock
From: Cqtestk4xs@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 16:43:20 EST
Sure, copper pipe might work fine, so long as your insurance agent  is
willing to pay out for your lightning damage even though  your
installation doesn't meet the recognized codes.  I dunno, it just  isn't
worth it to me..............Daron J. Wilson, RCDD

Perhaps the reason they don't recommend it is the copper pipe can be  crushed
when pounding it in.  The typical installation in home construction  does
just that....pound it in.  Jetting it eliminates the pounding.

I have three 200 footers in the back yard and it is always, uh...exciting  to
watch the tower flash and have the charge go 'down the hole' with my 1/2 inch
 ten foot CU pipes.

Let's face it, how many ham radio installations out there would pass a
structural or electrical engineer's inspection, with all the 'i's dotted and
the
't's crossed.  Jeez, these aren't Clearchannel installations, they're  amateur
setups.

Bill K4XS  (in the lightning capitol of North America, Central  FL)