To: towertalk@contesting.com, jim@audiosystemsgroup.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 88, Issue 45
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:58:04 EDT

In a message dated 4/13/2010 10:20:10 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>>Some potential problems  with the amp as already  mentioned but you don't
>>get the real advantage for  long coax  runs with low loss coax which is
less
>>loss on the received  signals. If  you can't hear them - you can't work
them,
>>no  matter how much power you're  running.

>  Yes, BUT --  coax loss on RX only matters if the limitation is noise in
your
receiver.  That is VERY RARE on the HF bands, where the major limitation is
either  QRM or noise picked up on the antenna. In other words, on HF, coax
loss  only affects TX.

    I'm not splitting hairs about noise limitations  of your rx.

    Are you saying that the practical effect of  a gain (less loss) of 3 dB
on the air due to lower loss coax is not heard  on your receiver? So your
dipole, vertical, coat hanger, etc.is just as good  on receive as your
multi-element yagi if it was all fed with the same  coax? Isn't gain gain and
loss
loss?

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC