Yagis, trolleys and trams - now tag lines!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Yagis, trolleys and trams - now tag lines!
From: steve@oakcom.com (Steve Maki)
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 1997 00:06:45 -0500
Tag lines are not neccessary if the rigging is done right.

Here is the system I have used even on full sized 3 el 40's.

The pull line attaches to the junction of 2 lanyards which are
each wrapped 3 or 4 times around the boom on either side of the
boom to mast plate.

2 more lanyards are similarly attached to the boom, and a pulley,
which will ride up the tram line, is attached to their junction.

We now have a situation where the antenna is held rigid in
2 planes, and the only possible movement is rotational around
the boom.

To solve this, I loosely tie the center element to the pull line
"cradle", causing the elements to ride up parallel to the pull
line, which gives the greatest advantage in getting over guy
wires.

When the antenna reaches the tower, the 2 cradles gives you great
flexiblity in how you may tie the antenna off temporarily while
removing the tram line, etc.

One possible fly in the ointment is if you have an antenna with
no elements near the center.

In that case you can attach a temporary "short" element to the
boom in the right place to act as the rotational stabilizer.

It is possible for 1 man and a capstan winch to do the whole
job.  Of course, it's always safer to have a little help around.
--
Steve Maki K8LX
steve@oakcom.com