[TowerTalk] Installing Coax Connectors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Installing Coax Connectors
From: K2JAS@worldnet.att.net (Roger L. Elowitz)
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 22:00:14 -0500
At 01:18 AM 3/26/97 +0000, you wrote:
>As far as soldering connectors, inside or outside, there is only one
>EASY way...
>Use a TEMPERATURE CONTROLLED soldering station.
>With the right tip, the solder will flow quickly and easily, eutectic
>or not.
>I use a German made station, ERSA...probably one of the best made, but
>hard to find. I suppose a Weller would do fine. The ERSA will go to 840
>degs F.
>Once you try it, you will never pick up a gun again.
>
>73, Andy

Hi guys,

In a far off galaxy and another time warp..(and then again perhaps it was in
the Wireman's Book) ... I was told that to properly heat a PL-259... there
is nothing like the heat transfering ability of those old massive soldering
IRONS.  I was never really good at physics but the mass of the hot object
had something to do with its ability to transfer heat efficiently before it
cooled much itself. Probably the "torch" approach to rapid heating
accomplishes the same thing...perhaps not?  Then again, removing the tip
from a Weller (or was it a Wen) 250 watt gun and inserting the PL-259 body
where the tip went and heating it directly is elegant beyond belief.  Lots
of great suggestions so far.

Thanks all,

Roger, K2JAS