[TowerTalk] Need Help With Bow Launching

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Need Help With Bow Launching
From: K2JAS@worldnet.att.net (Roger L. Elowitz)
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 1997 02:05:36 -0400
Hi Guys,

Seriously now........

I have a bow (the kind archers use) that was probably bought at a garage
sale.  Absolutely NOTHING FANCY.  The bowstring is attached and takes
considerable effort to pull all the way back. I've been able to shoot
"broken tv antenna elements" over 100 feet away with nothing attached to
them. <no applause necessary>

I have no arrows.  I don't know what kind to buy if I need them at all.

I'd like to launch a fishing line about fifty to sixty feet up over a tree
limb.  Then, I plan to  attach a nylon guy rope to haul up one end of an 80
m dipole.

So the questions are...

a) What kind of arrow do I try to buy (at a sporting goods store I presume)
and does it need to be weighted at the tip with the fishing line secured at
the tail end? Will a dowel purchased at Home Depot serve just as well?  I'm
NOT financially challenged here.

b) I imagine I'd need some kind of cheap fishing (casting) reel but don't
know what to look for and where to attach it.... on the bow I presume? I've
never seen this kind of rig.

c) What kind of fishing line should I use?

This is a ONE TIME EVENT so I'm not planning on opening up a dipole mounting
business needing all manner of fancy equipment.

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated and I think, if posted to the
reflector, would help others who will someday face a similar problem.

Thanks in advance,

Roger, K2JAS

PS... The powerline pole is DEFINITELY SCRUBBED as a VERY BAD IDEA for a guy
support for the dipole....and I thank everyone who took the time to input
the many, many reasons why it was so bad an idea. It wasn't what I wanted to
hear but I DID NEED TO HEAR ALL YOUR ADVICE AND I'M TAKING IT SERIOUSLY.
Thanks again.