Fw: [TowerTalk] Tower sled systems?????????????

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Fw: [TowerTalk] Tower sled systems?????????????
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 17:32:24 -0500
Homemade towers belongs in the same category as homemade airplanes.

Since failure can cause loss of life, those who are making such need to own
professional skills the same as those who design and make them professionally.
There ARE those who are qualified. But if you are NOT an airplane builder or a
PE...

WHY on earth would you put your precious (and ONLY) breakable body up on
something that has never had stress modeling done on it, or whose structural
materials are are not certified to match the materials in said stress modeling?
Or ... ?

I have rebuilt three car engines myself, but there are some things I simply
WILL NOT EVER do myself, like ball joints, because of not owning (or wanting to
own) the requisite tools.

Homemade towers is definitely on my NEVER-EVER list.

And if you maintain a encyclopedia of same, and the unthinkable occurs on one
of them actually made, are you not risking being party to a lawsuit, and having
to spend money to fend it off? Even if you have waivers all over the place, you
will still have to hire the lawyer to prove in court that you HAD waivers, and
that they were adequate and legal.

Scarey.

73, y'all,  Guy

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>