[TowerTalk] rope in elements

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] rope in elements
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 12:18:49 -0600
Guy,

Please explain how a "sealed rope inside the element"
wicks water when there is an END CAP sealing each element.

I can see how an imperfectly sealed element may get water
inside through condensation.  This can be drained off by drilling
small holes in the bottom of the end caps.

de  Tom  N4KG

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001 11:53:40 -0500 "Guy Olinger, K2AV"
<k2av@contesting.com> writes:

> > Rope helps to dampen oscillations, it is like hand being there to
> grab the
> > element and calm it down. Can't see what sealed rope inside the
> element have
> > to do with ice loading.
>
> Pulls water INSIDE the elements by wicking. Maybe if you worked
> clear automotive silicone *grease* into the outer yard or so of rope
> that would solve the wicking.
>
> I've always wondered what some of that insulating foam that comes
> out of a pressure can would do.
>

> > After having even Telrex elements falling off, no elements without
> rope here.
> >

> Wind is like water. You can put it off, but sooner or later it does
> what it wants to.
>
> > Yuri, K3BU

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.