[TowerTalk] INSULATED MAST

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] INSULATED MAST
From: sm2cew@telia.com (Peter Sundberg)
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 12:12:18 +0200
As people already pointed out, mounting the antenna on an insulated mast
will make no difference unless the coax is run out the back of the antenna
in some way.

I have a moonbounce array for 2 mtrs consisting of 6 yagis with horizontal
and vertical elements mounted on a metal H-frame. Deterioration in the
vertical polarization (elements in the same plane as the H-frame) is about
-1db in comparison to the horizontal plane. Vertical pattern is quite ok so
you can use the antenna this way for sure but it is like giving up a bit of
boomlength that you bought in the first place. In my case I wanted to make
up for the -20db lost from Faraday rotation if polarity is shifted 90 deg
so I am a happy little vegemite despite the fact I loose 1 db when I use
the vertical elements.

A much better approach in your case is to have two antennas bayed with
elements vertical on a horizontal metal mast. They can be considerably
shorter as the stacking gain will put you back in the same region as the
single 8 el M2.

Back supporting the 8 el will put a lot of stress on the mount so it is not
a good idea.

Anyhow, you can put it up on a metal mast and use it, but there will not be
all the db's you paid for in the antenna. I will not be a disaster though
so my suggestion is to try it.

73/Peter SM2CEW
www.qsl.net/sm2cew

HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>