[TowerTalk] Log Periodic Antenna recommendation?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Log Periodic Antenna recommendation?
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 21:53:34 -0400
> Could you folks steer me in the right direction of a good log Periodic
> Antenna ?
>
> The one I am looking at is the Tennadyne 10 ele. (T-10)

I'm not sure how well the Tennadyne antennas work, but one thing
that bothers me is Tennadyne's feed system.

They have two "hot booms", they put a balun at the feedpoint, then
they run the coax back along the boom the shield connects and
exit to the tower without a choke at that point!

That means the shield leaves the antenna with voltage on it, and
also that the balun at the feedpoint is electrically shorted and does
nothing.

Assuming the shield connects to the lower boom and the coax
runs along that boom, the correct location for the balun is at the
exit point where the cable leaves the boom and goes to the tower.

Most certainly not at the feedpoint! A friend of mine had all sorts of
problems with RF on the feedline until he moved his balun.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----