[TowerTalk] RFI in Porch Lights

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] RFI in Porch Lights
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 10:33:11 -0400
> Any quick and easy suggestions to cure RF getting into my el cheapo
> motion/heat-sensing porch lights? I'm thinking of trying small caps across
> the input circuit?
>
> Thanks and 73......./k6sdw

Any capacitor placed across a power line must be UL/CSA rated
for line-bypass applications. The components are clearly marked
with AC voltage ratings, and have UL/CSA and perhaps VDE logo's
on them.

Remember all those TV set fires in the 60's and 70's? Many were
caused by power line bypasses. Normal disk capacitors will flame
up like a torch if they short, and shorts are common because of
line transients unless the capacitor is rated at well over 1kV dc.

Whatever you do, small capacitors like that are a source of great
heat if they fail. Be sure you have a proper flameproof enclosure
and use the proper capacitor for line-bypass!!!

I've had success using .01uF 250VAC rated capacitors, in
conjunction with ferrite beads over the leads arriving at the box, to
tame my motion detecting lights.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----