[TowerTalk] optimum height

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] optimum height
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 11:44:30 -0400
Hi Brian,

I don't understand what the following means. Is something wrong?

> I queries WX0B about the rule of thumb regarding "optimum" stacking
> height.
>
> Here was his response:
> ***********************************
> For HF antennas over ground, W2PV did the math correctly and the
> formula is SQ rt of boom length is the widest stacking distance you
> should use on a yagi. The results are in boom lengths just as you
> state.

My 40 meter yagi has a 47 foot boom. Optimum stacking distance
for gain is ~90 feet, depending on array mean height.

Using that formula, I should stack my 40 meter beams sqrt of 47,
or  7  feet apart MAXIMUM?? A 1 WL boom antenna would stack
at .7WL...which also would be much less than optimum
....although getting closer.

Was something stated or conveyed incorrectly above, or is
something missing? It clearly is not correct.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

-----