[TowerTalk] MFJ 1792 correction vs HF2V

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] MFJ 1792 correction vs HF2V
From: 2@vc.net (2)
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 08:50:25 -0700

>Last night, I mentioned in reply to N4KG's response to my listing of
>accomplished Butternut HF2V'ers that I thought the Butternut could beat any
>three foot top loaded antenna.  I got data of the antenna's 3 foot size off
>of MFJ's antenna description web page as follows:
>
>First, I clicked on the MFJ page then clicked
>
>"HF Verticle"  (Is that the English version of vertical????)
>
>Then I clicked:
>
>"MFJ 1792"
>
>This description came up:
>
>A high-performance vertical.  Full sie quarter wave radiator for 40
>Meters-That's 3 feet of ruthless radiating power.  End loading, low loss
>fiberglass form, high strength 6061 - T6 Aluminum tubing, handles 1,500
>Watts PEP, requires guying and radial counterpoises or ground screen.  Price
>169.95""
>
>I assumed it was three feet tall, that's what the page said!!! . (OK,
>maybe I knew it was a misprint but I had to have some fun with it- ) This
morning,
>open minded,  I went back and down loaded the actual manual (very well
>written) and saw it was 33 feet tall.  I think they mean full size for 40
>meters, not full sie implying a 3 foot wonder antenna, and from their manual,
>what ever was causing them to spell vertical as verticle in several places on
>their webpage, they got that corrected.  As far as the ruthless aspect,
>typical MFJ advertising style-
>
>Of note, out of the box, the antenna does require guying.  The Butter HF2V
>does not.  Therefore, I don't agree that the MFJ 1792 takes up the same
>amount of room as the Butternut HF2V as stated in earlier postings by others.
>
>The DX window on 75 SSB is 10KHz (3.790-3.800MHz and the 80 meter CW window
>is 25KHz (3.550-3.525MHz).  These are narrow enough to put a stock HF2V in
>the middle of and have decent bandwidth.  Neither of these antennas is so
>broad banded that you can operate in both windows without having to retune
>them and/or use a tuner to accomplish this.
>
>I do think that the MFJ 1792 is a neat concept, on paper, has potential to
>will work fb from a small lot,  and gives more bandwidth over a stock HF2V
>without modifications for those who like to cruise the upper end of 75 SSB
>for stateside stuff etc.......but it would be nice if the company making the
>antenna could give it a better impression by proof reading their own
>webpage-

//     It would be nice if they made a dipmeter option for their analyzer
that dipped.
  It would be nice if their 8877 amplifier had:
1.  a tank that was designed by a person who understood skin-effect,
2.  forced air cooling on the bandswitch.
3.  a parasitic suppressor to reduce the chance of losing an 8877 due to
gold evaporating from the grid during an "oscillation condition". - -
Yesterday, I got a telephone call from a guy who knows of an AL-1500 that
is so squirrelish that its owner avoids using it.

cheers

cheers

-  R. L. Measures, 805.386.3734,AG6K, www.vcnet.com/measures.
end