[TowerTalk] Re: [AMPS] True Or Not True #2

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: [AMPS] True Or Not True #2
From: k6ll@juno.com (David O Hachadorian)
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 16:17:47 +0000

On Thu, 06 Sep 2001 15:46:36 -0700 Stu Greene <wa2moe@doitnow.com>
writes:
> But can one hear an increase in signal of one db?  I doubt it but
> I'll keep
> trying

All of this speculation could be solved with an easy experiment.

Have a ham across town send you a very weak signal, so weak that
you can barely hear it, with your agc off.

Have him pump up the power by a factor of 1.25 (1dB), and see
if you can tell the difference. If that doesn't work, try a
factor of 1.6 (2dB) or a factor of 2 (3dB).

We could even have a contest to see who can detect the lowest
factor.

If I were at home, I'd try it myself, but I'm in the boonies,
without a radio.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Big Bear Lake, CA
K6LL@juno.com