[TowerTalk] Re: Ham IV rotor installation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Ham IV rotor installation
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 23:08:30 -0600
It's pretty easy to over tighten a small bolt to failure.
"Snug enough" is the answer :-)  GL defining it.

I shim my rotors but I have long forgotten what material
I used.  Some have reported using some sort of rubber
sheet around the mast for added gripping ability.  If you
can find a suitable thickness / firmness, that might be a
good solution.  Any suggestions?

Using a single thrust bearing puts considerable side
load on the rotor which can cause excessive wear on
the rotor.  I prefer to let the full weight of the mast and
antennas rest on the rotor to help keep the ball bearings
in their race and reduce wear caused by sideloading.

Tom  N4KG

-----