[TowerTalk] Finding North, Redux

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Finding North, Redux
From: k3hx@juno.com (tttt ccccc)
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 16:04:41 -0400
Dear Pete N4ZR,

Here we go again!

I figure that about now you will be getting static from some poster child
for

anal retentive syndrome about the inaccuracy of the "shadow" method.

Here's some ammo:

I'm a serious amateur astronomer and it is really important to know where
north

is for telescope alignment purposes.

I've got a US Navy celestial navigation program which I've used for
years.  (it

runs on DOS so it works......every time, never locks up, never burps or
gives me

messages about how stupid I am....HI!)

Anyway, I looked you up on the DX Cluster's Buckmaster listing and ran
sunrise,

transit (also called solar noon.....the time when the sun is due south)
and sundown

for 22 Sep 2001 at your QTH.  You may use these to contrive an offset
from the

times given in the paper.

Converted to EDST:

Sunrise 0700

Transit 1305

Sunset  1908

If you split the difference , you get 1304 as the middle of the day.

OH, THE HORROR!!

I ran a position for the sun at your QTH at 1304 and it is 179.7 degrees.
 Or about

3 tenths of a degree from due south.  There are several factors that
contribute to this

offset, the most prominent is that the earth has traveled in the orbit
about the sun

during the day.

Another source of joy for the "picky-picky" crowd is the fact that the
sunrise-

sunset times are typically for an airport which may be some distance
away.

Trivial.  Perhaps a degree or so......no big deal.

Considering the relatively broad bandwidths of HF and VHF beams, it seems
that

the "shadow" method is PLENTY  accurate enough.

Polaris is a pretty good way to find north but this method may involve
climbing the

tower at night.  Also, the maximum "error" for Polaris is about 44
arcminutes or

something just less than .75 degree.  There are times which can be
predicted

when Polaris is either directly north or south of true north (upper and
lower

culmination) but again, for ham purposes, it is a bit much.  Telescope
folk, however

really have to be on the button or things will "drift" out of the field
of view.

Well, have to boogie.  Our astronomy club is having a public "star party"
tonight and

I can't wait to wow 'em with my new, fairly big (yup.....size does
matter.....HI HI!!)

refractor.

73

Tim  K3HX

Cw Elitist

QRP Snob (except on 160 where I run an amp in a futile attempt to
compensate

                for a really short antenna with a really crummy ground
screen..HI!)

Old Fart        QRV 1964

20 WPM Extra    Since 1986

Draft Dodger    Enlisted within weeks of turning 17

Zoomie          USAF 66-70

Weekend Warrior OH Air Guard 71-72

-----