[TowerTalk] Antennas down

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antennas down
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 19:23:06 -0600
On Mon, 11 Feb 2002 "Major Ron" <majrabsr@rconnect.com> writes:

> OK Don (and All),
>
> The antennas were stacked in 'normal' Christmas tree fashion.
> There  was about 1/4" to 3/8" (measurements were taken on the
> ground  AFTERWARDS) of ice after the freezing rain, which then
> turned into heavy wet snow.  There were no compensators on the
> antennas and they were pointed into the wind.  Winds were steady
> at 55-70MPH with gusts reaching 90MPH.

> ALL elements  failed at the swage points.

N4KG:   Do you mean the super thin wall 7/16 inch diameter
        Element TIPS failed?  I HATE those flimsy HyGain
        end tips.  Too bad someone ( HELLO  TEXAS  TOWERS )
        doesn't sell heavier wall 7/16 inch O.D. replacements!

> The 20M boom broke on one side of the re-inforcement  at the
> center near the mast. 10 & 15m booms bent at the same point.
> One  side of the  driven element on 15 & 20M beams broke at the
> insulators. Several  element pieces (don't know which antenna they
> came from yet) appear to be  twisted  radially.
>
> I really am amazed that the T6 escaped any damage at all. Its
> elements were sagging badly and waving around in the wind when
> I last looked at  them,

N4KG:   Please provide a description of the T6 elements
        (lengths, diameters, wall thicknesses, double wall?, etc)

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.

Order online at http://store.eham.net.

-----