[Towertalk] Non-Resonant Guy lengths

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Non-Resonant Guy lengths
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 19:29:28 -0600
Re:  "Non-Resonant Guy Lengths"

FIRST, there is NO SUCH THING as NON-resonant Lengths
when it comes to conductors.  The commonly recommended
lengths of 27, 40, 54 ft ARE resonant at 18, 12, 9 MHz
respectively which are multiples of half wavelengths on
the WARC Bands.

Second,  conductive lengths Less Than 0.3 Wavelengths
(at the highest frequency used) are 'nearly' invisible.
This comes to roughly 11 ft for 10 Meters.

Third, conductive lengths More Than 0.5 Wavelengths
act as inefficient REFLECTORS.

Fourth, Insulators must be placed at BOTH ends of
a conductor to isolate the conductor (i.e. you must
use less than half the shortest desired length when
connected to a tower leg.

That said, I placed my first insulators at 3 or 4 ft from
the tower legs, followed by guy lengths of  12, 12, 27 ft,
and combinations of 27, 40, and 54 ft.

It is becoming more and more popular to use 30 to 50 ft
lengths of Philystran or fiberglass guys followed by EHS
as people recognize the effects of conductive guys near
their antennas, especially side mounted antennas.

Tom  N4KG

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002 15:46:03 -0400 "Mark Pride" <mpride@us.ibm.com>
writes:
> In the hopes that someone has this info on the tip of their PC, what
> are
> the magic lengths associated with non-resonant guy lengths?  From
> memory, I
> recall numbers like 3 ft, 27 ft, 54 ft, etc.  starting from the
> tower.
>
> Putting up a 100 ft. tower and want to break up the guys with
> insulators.
> Its been awhile since I had seen a complete list of recommended guy
> lengths
> between insulators.
>
> Thanks team!
>
> Regards,