[Towertalk] F12 C4S (and 40M Dipoles)

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] F12 C4S (and 40M Dipoles)
From: n4kg@juno.com (n4kg@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 15:10:30 -0600
I give a STRONG second to K2AV's endorsement of rotary dipoles
(for ANY band).

There's a lot to be said for having a Horizontal Antenna (4 to 6 dB
ground reflection gain),  up high, in the clear, and rotating.  A PAIR
of fixed dipoles at right angles is also a very good alternative.

On 40M, 70 ft is 1/2 WL high which produces a SINGLE Lobe
centered at ~30 degrees with the -3 dB points at 12 and 50
degrees and a Null from 50 through 90 degrees elevation.

This provides good coverage of the mid to upper angles
supported by the ionosphere and rejection of high angle
atmospheric noise on receive.

I worked my first 300 countries from Alabama on 40M using
a wire and bamboo rotary dipole at 80 ft.  I've also worked over
300 countries with 5 watts so while 300 countries 'by itself' is
not necessarily a good endorsement for an Antenna, I believe
that experienced operators develop a 'feel' for how an antenna
plays that can come pretty close to measured results.

My 'feel' for 40M Rotary Dipoles at 80 ft is that they are
VERY GOOD DX Antennas and will allow one to work just about
everything you hear (right after the guys with the beams but
sometimes even before).  In contests, you will be able to
hunt and call with ease and even generate good runs when
the band is open to Europe and JA.  Of course a beam is
better, but a rotary dipole is plenty 'good enough' to provide
a lot of FUN on 40M.

On 80M, my 130 ft high dipoles 'feel' as competitive as some
of the nearby 4 squares.  I got the same (579) report from A52OM
as one of my friend's received with his 4 square.  I was one of the
FEW NA stations to work XU7AAV on 80M, along with a well known
W8 using a 5 element vertical array.  I don't have to 'struggle' as hard
to work Asians in Zones 21, 22, 23, 24, 26 as I did with my 100 ft
high inverted vee and / or single vertical / GP.

A FLAT Horizontal Dipole is better than an an inverted vee.
Of course an inverted vee is much easier to implement,
requiring only a single high support.  Pull the ends out as far
and as high as possible.  With an apex angle > 120 degees,
gain approaches that of a flat dipole.  (150 degees is even better).

Tom  N4KG

SNIP

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.