[Towertalk] NY State antenna legislation

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] NY State antenna legislation
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 17:15:52 -0400
On 6/30/02 7:11 PM, David L. Thompson at thompson@mindspring.com wrote:

>We have a Gwinnett County (Georgia) ordinance that allows up to 75 feet
>without the need for a special use permit.  I would love to have 95 feet.

Dave,

According to the information I obtained in 2000, when I got my building
permit, Gwinnett county does not place a limit on tower height. However,
depending on height, the requirements obtaining a permit change:

* < 50 feet - no plans, just apply for a permit.

* < 75 feet - vendor shop drawings (eg from the Rohn catalog) required
and must be reviewed before granting the permit.

* > 75 feet - full plans drawn and stamped by a PE registered in GA. You
must also obtain a Tall Structure Permit from the board of commissioners.
The plans are reviewed as for towers < 75 feet.

As you can see, there's no limit on height, but there's certainly a wall
of paperwork. There's a reason my tower is 49.5 feet tall....

--

Oh, and on a more humourous note, the permit for my tower describes the
project as follows:

"OTHER - AMATUER RADIO ANTENNA SUPPORT TOWER - 49 FT TALL - BLDG ONLY-
ATTACHED TO HOUSE BY BRACKETS - NO GUIDE WIRES ATTACHED"

I like that part -- "GUIDE WIRES"....

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901