[Towertalk] re: bulkhead ground system

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] re: bulkhead ground system
From: kb9cry@attbi.com (kb9cry@attbi.com)
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 16:09:01 +0000
Man that's a bummer.  Sounds like your SPG is not
connected to your service ground and also sounds like
you don't have power line arrestors (not those cheap
surge strips) on the power lines.  I'd suggest looking
into these for future improvement.  Also, Polyphaser
suggests that you not have any ground rods in a line
that is towards the house, so that the energy is
directed away from the house.  Finally they also suggest
80 ft worth of ground radials (with rod spaced at a
distance of 2 x the rod length) for each tower leg.
Finally, I'd look at removing the ground wire from the
same trench as the coax runs and place it in its own
trench.  Maybe the energy ran along that wire and jumped
over to the coax and then was too much for the arrestors
at the SPG?  Gd luck; file an insurance claim.  Phil
KB9CRY