[Towertalk] T2X Start cap at tower base?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] T2X Start cap at tower base?
From: n2mg@eham.net (Mike Gilmer, N2MG)
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 15:04:38 -0300
K1UO wrote:

<< I notice from the T2X schematic that the start cap is across pins 4
and 8 of the connectors.  If I cut the rotor cable about 5 ft up from
the base of the tower and put the start cap and weatherproof housing
there will I notice any difference in T2X start operation?
Has anyone already tried this?  I can leave the other start cap in the
control head and just insulate those particular leads out at the tower
base.>>

Closer is better - many folks split the difference (between mounting
right at the rotator - where it belongs - and leaving it in the control
box - where CDE put it) and mount the cap at the bottom of the tower
where it's accessible. Leave the start cap in the controller and just
disconnect the wires on 4 and 8.

Since you then have two "spare" wires from control box to tower base,
you can then double up the the heavy (brake/motor) wires on 1 and 2 for
some more benefit.

Mike N2MG