[Towertalk] Wind info for VE7 - where can I find it?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Wind info for VE7 - where can I find it?
From: kr7x@attbi.com (kr7x@attbi.com)
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 15:16:43 +0000
Jim:

Based on the BC Building Code 1998 I found the following
for your question. Remember the acutal jurisdiction may
have a different requirement:

The BC code and National Building Code of Canada do not
use wind velocity. They use a design velocity pressure
in kPa based on recurrence frequencies of 1 in 10yrs, 1
in 30yrs, and 1 in 100yrs. The value you seek is the 1
in 30yr value.

>From Appendix C 1998 BCBC, the values for Vancouver,
including Richmond, Surrey and W. Vancouver are as
follows:

1 in 10 : 0.36 kPa  = 7.72 psf
1 in 30 : 0.44 kPa  = 9.19 psf

You could convert these to mph via p=0.00256*V^2.
Like all codes the design pressure is modified by
several factors to account for terrain, gusting and
height above the ground.

The design wind speeds in US codes are based on
approximately a 1 in 50yr occurance and are based on
fastest mile velocity for 3 seconds at 30 feet in height.

the B.C. Code formulae is: p=q*Ce*Cg*Cp where:
     q= design velocity pressure
     Ce= exposure factor
     Cg= gust factor
     Cp= pressure coefficient

I will stop now and suggest you get a copy of the B.C.
Building Code or Xerox the sections you need at the
library and call the jurisdiction your are in for actual
local requirements.

Happy calculating

Hank Lonberg, P.E.,S.E.
KR7X