[Towertalk] Need Antenna Advice!

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [Towertalk] Need Antenna Advice!
From: k6ll@juno.com (Dave Hachadorian)
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 09:22:36 +0000
On Sat, 14 Sep 2002 08:21:50 -0300 "Carl Smidt" <smidtca@sprint.ca>
writes:

(regarding the SteppIR)

> The next step in this innovative design will be a longer boom and
> more
> elements and, of course, at a much higher cost.

It seems to me that, if one were willing to give up 6 meters, a
longer boom design with one or more fixed 10 meter directors
would make a very nice HF antenna. Since no additional variable
length elements would be required, the cost wouldn't be much
greater. The 10 meter directors shouldn't bother the other bands,
and might even help a little on 24 Mhz. Just a little more hardware,
and a few lines of code in the firmware (famous last words).

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Big Bear Lake, CA