[TowerTalk] Digging the hole

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Digging the hole
From: aa4lr@bellsouth.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Mon Feb 24 02:22:47 2003
On 2/20/03 7:57 AM, VeeAthreePL at va3pl@cuic.ca wrote:

>Just wandering how long (in hours perhaps) it will take to dig 4 X 4 X 6
>feet deep hole in medium to heavy clay using just hand tools like a
>shovel and stuff by one person. I am looking for ball park number of
>hours in order for better planning to put up my TX-455 crank up tower.

Well, digging a 2x2x4 hole for my Rohn 25 took about 5 hours of digging.

Now, I don't know about you, but I wasn't going to risk injury by
actually standing in the hole, so after the first foot, I did all my
digging with a post-hole digger -- which took a lot longer.

Even so, you're talking about a lot of dirt. You're talking about 8000
lbs of the stuff. You not only have to dig it out of the ground, you also
have to move it somewhere.

It might be a really good idea to rent a small backhoe for this job. It
would go much quicker.