[TowerTalk] Coax Disconnection

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax Disconnection
From: kb9cry@comcast.net (kb9cry@comcast.net)
Date: Fri Aug 8 11:15:45 2003
Personally, I have so many cables and wires coming in from outdoors, I never
disconnect.  Everyone has lightning protection and my single point ground,
station ground, perimeter ground, and tower grounds are all very robust and are
tied together (CadWelded).  I never disconnect.  Most coax cables do go to a
switch so that the desired antenna can be switched to the rig.  I've received a
30 amp surge through the system from a nearby lightning strike and had no
damage.  (Verified by other means; contact offline for info if curious.)
Lightning never seems to want to directly strike my antennas; must be the good
bleed-off of static from the system.  Commecial radio stations and the police
and fire depts. never disconnect and we radio operators shouldn't have to also
if we've designed our systems properly, cover all the bases,  and don't use
shortcuts.  Phil  KB9CRY