Re: [TowerTalk] N connectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] N connectors
From: Bob Nielsen <nielsen@oz.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 08:00:11 -0700
On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 02:19:08AM -0700, Steven J. Gehring wrote:
> Yep...center pin migration due to extreme temps happens with these
> connectors.  But, the biggest issue I've seen with mil-spec type N's are
> their incorrect installation (both in the government and civilian worlds).
> If the center pin extends beyond (outside) the inner shield ring of the male
> connector, you're asking for trouble.  The problem is that the inner lip of
> the male pin butts up against the female tines prematurely, or before the
> mating connectors are fully screwed together.  This has busted the female
> tines in the female connector, or caused them to lose their spring tension,
> through the actions of people who didn't know of this issue.  Obviously,
> these people didn't inspect the connectors prior to mating them.  IMHO, the
> tip of the male pin should reside flush to about 1 mm below the inner shield
> ring.
>
> The reverse is also true with these connectors. The male pin can be recessed
> too far down inside the male plug.  If this happens, there won't be
> sufficient mechanical and electrical contact, and this could lead to serious
> problems (see the mail below for an example).
>
> I know there are newer and better designed N types out there, but I've
> haven't used them yet.  I'm hoping they address pin migration to some
> degree.  Can anyone recommend Manufacturers and p/n's of their decently
> updated type N connectors?  Please pass along your detailed experiences and
> successes with the newer varieties.  I know I'd really like to ditch having
> to meticulously make the mil-spec variety.

I've probably attached a few hundred N connectors and about 40 years
ago learned an easy way to inspect the installation.  Push hard on the
end of the connector with the tip of a finger.  The ring and tip should
both make the same degree of indentation into the finger.  If the
indentations are not equal, take it apart and start over.

Bob, N7XY