Re: [TowerTalk] Posting replies....

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Posting replies....
From: Zach White <zwhite-towertalk@darkstar.frop.org>
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 01:54:00 +0000
On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 08:33:43PM -0500, Roger Borowski wrote:
> I wholeheartedly agree, Dino. That would make it far more efficient and far
> less time consuming for those of us who receive anywhere from 150 to 300
> messages per day from 18 different reflectors plus personal e-mail and, of
> course, the proverbial Spam, as I do. I just don't have the time to scroll
> through these types of messages and find it much easier and significantly
> quicker to just hit the delete button and move on.

I respectfully disagree.

I've been on the network since 1992, or thereabouts. I've seen Usenet before
it became clogged with spam. I saw the September that never ended. And I've
watched tried-and-true netiquette be discarded, for no good reason. This is
clearly a case of disregarding netiquette.

The proper way to followup to posts is to quote the relevant portion of
what you're replying to, and then to post your reply below that. This
way, you both reduce the amount of necessary scrolling _and_ you provide
the context that including the quoted material is intended to provide.
If you're responding to several points in the previous message, you break
your reply up into sections. Ideally, the previous poster would have
grouped their message into convient paragraphs so you don't have to
breaks their post up in the middle of a line.

To paraphrase a sig I've seen on nanog:

A: Because it's not how conversation flows.
Q: Why shouldn't I top post?

I realize that neither of us is going to change the way most people do
things, but I hope that I at least enlightened you as to how things have
traditionally been done, and why. There's nothing I can or will do to
stop you from top posting, and vice-versa, but I hope you at least see
where I'm coming from.

I apologize for the off-topic post. Let's not continue these. If there's
enough interest, I'll throw together a mailing on my machine to continue
this discussion, or maybe we should just take it private.

(Back to lurking)

-Zach