[TowerTalk] Re-galvanizing tower sections

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re-galvanizing tower sections
From: Mike Gilmer <n2mg1@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 10:18:13 -0800 (PST)
I regalvanized several sections of Rohn 25 a few years

ago (the shop is literally next door to where I work).

They were remarkably accepting of my small business...

They quoted me somewhere around $0.30 a pound and
another $0.05 to remove the old galvanizing (OK, zinc
plating).  Took about a week.  They would NOT remove
paint (I had none thankfully).

Once re-dipped, the sections slipped together only
after some grinding of the zinc, and the bolt holes
did need to be opened up (I used a taper pin - the
same one I use to align the holes during tower
installations).

On the outside (especially the Z-braces) there were
zinc "razors" (drips with sharp edges) but far fewer
than what was on the 10 sections of brand new Rohn 45
I bought 15 years ago.  I filed all these down.

Mike N2MG

http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools