[TowerTalk] Re: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 18, Issue 43

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: TowerTalk Digest, Vol 18, Issue 43
From: <mahlonhaunschild@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 8:52:59 -0400
Mike,

Please explain how you arrived at your 14.4 sq ft figure for this tower
configuration.  Based on the information at:

http://www.rohnnet.net/rohnnet2001/catalog/pdfs/25G/25G-7.pdf

the answer is 8.7 sq ft, assuming round antenna members.  The 45G guy tables
have additional sq ft taken into consideration for antenna supports, beacons,
etc. as referenced in the "Notes" section of the guy drawings:

http://www.rohnnet.net/rohnnet2001/catalog/pdfs/45G/45G-9.pdf

but no such assumptions appear in the 25G drawings.

Brad:  My recommendation to you is to replace your 25G tower with 45G and stick
to the drawings' limitations.

regards,

Mahlon - K4OQ

From:   Michael Pfeuffer <wq5c@texas.net>
Date:   2004/06/14 Mon PM 03:25:10 EDT
To:   "Brad Hedges" <bhedges@nc.rr.com>
CC:   towertalk@contesting.com
Subject:   Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 - how many beams?

Hi Brad,

Take a look at the Rohn engineering docs on their web site.  The "guy
details" pages list the maximum windload for each configuration.  At the
top of each diagram is two numbers one in an oval the other is in a
rectangle.  The oval indicates the rated windload for round members, while
the rectangle is for flat members.  For example, a 120' of 25G in a 90MPH
area is rated at 14.4 sqft.

GL,
--Mike WQ5C