Re: [TowerTalk] Actual LP Performance vs Tribanders

To: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Actual LP Performance vs Tribanders
From: Peter Sundberg <sm2cew@telia.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 07:44:26 +0000
The thing that I was trying to convey with the measurements we made was
that the TH7DX tribanders are not critical in f/b vs frequency in contrast
to what someone suggested.

What the precise f/b numbers are is another interesting topic, as is the
precise gain of an antenna. Hovever, operating on the bands and using the
antenna under various different conditions will soon tell if it is a
performer, omnidirectional or a dummyload..
And in my opinion, given the tests we have conducted over the years, ground
wave tests over 30 km flat land gives a fair _indication_ of what the f/b
is, good or poor.

This has also proven to be the case with various VHF/UHF yagis that I have
built and used on terrestrial and EME operation. On VHF. terrestrial
contest operations ground wave signals (stations locally, nearby) are
really what you want to attenuate because locals create QRM in your
receiver. (wideband noise/hash/clicks etc)

So f/b on groundwave is important and so far, from what I have seen the
results are pretty close to what the software model tells you. But again,
in precise numbers you can't say it is exactly -19db or -21db but you can
sure tell -8db from -18 db.

73/Peter SM2CEW