Re: [TowerTalk] ARR Preamp Failures

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] ARR Preamp Failures
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 11:53:41 -0500
On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 11:18:48 -0500, W0UN -- John Brosnahan wrote:

>TOWER-mounted (there, I said it) RF-switched preamps are
>usually designed to work with a continuous carrier like FM.
>When used with SSB they can "chatter" with the RF amplitude
>variations--depending on the relay "hang time".

Any good switching system, including ARR's, is designed with hang time to
accomodate SSB and even CW.  When it works, it works very well, and the
last time it was fixed it ran well for 3 months and a lot of 6 meter activity.

I also talked to Jay this morning, and he agreed that I appeared to be
applying the preamp correctly and in a manner that should work well. His
response was quite positive and professional, so we're really talking about
some sort of failure mode in this particular preamp that shouldn't be
happening.

Jim