Re: [TowerTalk] Shields

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shields
From: John Kiesel <yamaha_xs_johnny@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:40:43 -0700 (PDT)

Just an an anectode about Coax problems.

Years ago when I had a big HF System, which included
large monobanders and 80 meter vees and quads.

I was trying to work OH2BH on the short path on 75.
It had been a very cold winter up til then and I was
cranking 1500w to him so he could hear me S3.  Just a
West Coast problem!!
 As I was transmitting to him, I noticed drips of
water coming out of the coax switch that controlled 75
meters!! Mind you the SWR still looked good and I was
getting full output!
I am still amazed today to think that I didn't blow
anything up, more so that the impedance didn't change
and cause a SWR fluctuation that I could easily see
and look for a problem.. When I saw the Drips I ceased
my transmission. After inspecting the coax. There was
a split in the outer jacket caused by the incredible
cold weather we had gone through. Then our normal
rainfall decided on it's path down the coax.
Maybe the water caused a perfect dialectric, and
stayed away from the center conductor??? I don't know.
But having good shielding is very important, I do
know!

Johnny
KE7V

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail