RE: [TowerTalk] Ground radials/elevated radials

To: "'Yo3ctk'" <yo3ctk@alltrom.ro>,"'Tom Rauch'" <w8ji@contesting.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: RE: [TowerTalk] Ground radials/elevated radials
From: "Paul Playford" <w8aef@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2004 02:15:42 -0000
I use 4 elevated radials under each element on my 4 squares for 40m and 80m
with Comtek box and am very happy with the performance of both systems.

W1XT (a near neighbor) prefered 8 elevated radials under his parasitic fed
arrays.

We rated the systems as equal.  If he could hear/work the DX, so could I,
and vice versa.

Both of us erected two radials as a dipole and trimmed them for resonance at
our desired operating frequency.  Due to the proximity to ground (9' feet)
they come out a little short (physically).  Then we installed the rest of
the radials at the same length.  After all the radials were installed we
installed the vertical elements and trimmed them to the desired operating
frequency, which due to the slightly short radials made the vertical portion
slightly long.  This raised the feed point impedance slightly and tilted the
radiation lobe down a bit.  Not enough to measure but by theory.

I don't consider forward gain as my array's strong point but they both have
excellent front to back and front to side.  They do have some forward gain
though because I have busted a lot of pileups with them.

de Paul, W8AEF

From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>

> No. Radials needs to be as many as long and as straight and evenly
> spaced as possible. If they are close to ground or on ground, you need
> 20-30 0.2 wavelength long to have a really good ground. About 50 or 60
> radials is nearly perfect.

---