Re: [TowerTalk] Noise

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Noise
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 2004 17:08:50 -0600
On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 16:05:16 -0600, Bill wrote:

>It seems to me that I saw a small commercial receiver and antenna that is
>being sold for just this purpose, but I can't remember it.

You should really be asking this on the RFI list, but I'll take a stab at it.

I use my Kenwood TH-F6A when I need to do some RFI snooping. It has a built-in
loopstick antenna that works fairly well on HF. The receiver is not very
sensitive, but if you
are close to a really loud source you will hear it. AND -- a major mechanism by
which this
stuff radiates into our antennas is via the vertical downlead from capacitors
and protection
devices at the top of poles. These downleads are not present on all poles, but
they are on
many of them. The Kenwood hears this stuff real well -- just put it near the
downlead! Other
similar radios should do this trick too.

Obviously we could get much fancier, but I always begin by looking in my
existing box of
tools before buying something.

Jim